Old March 11th 11, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe[_2_]

Default Microphones

At 20:59 10 March 2011, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:22:53 +0000, Paul Tribe wrote:

Certainly I was taught to enter and egress a glider from the

left also,
although no explanation was give as to why this was the

case - it was
just "what you did". I learnt in K21s that have transversely

hinged
canopies, but the microphone is on the right too.

Your club's K21 is different from my club's pair, then. Their

canopies
open fore and aft. Are you sure you aren't thinking of a K13, a

G.103 or
even a Puchacz?

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

I'm not confused, but maybe my description was poorly written:

The hinges are aligned transversely and, therefore, as the
rotational freedoms are normal to the hinge axes, the canopies
open fore and aft.

The K13, G103 and the Junior etc. have longitudinal hinges,
allowing the canopies to open "sideways".

I have, of course, once made the mistake of loosing both
catches of a Junior canopy while ground handling. Luckily for my
wallet, we operate from a grass airfield....