Old February 5th 13, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Default Letter to editor in SOARING Mag

wrote:
On Monday, February 4, 2013 6:29:48 PM UTC-6, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:
I really enjoy the OLC. I can compare my flights this year to last,
look at which paths seemed to be faster, and it provides a place to keep
my .igc files I'm not likely to lose!!

It's fun to play with the categories too! I downloaded the 'Best
Flight' spreadsheet, and found you can sort by aircraft. Then I found
that I had the BEST FLIGHT IN THE WORLD - IN A Speed Astir (a couple
years!). Too much fun!

On Monday, February 4, 2013 10:01:19 AM UTC-8, R Walters wrote:

Roger Bard has a letter to the editor in this month's SOARING mag. His
point is "Why even bother" to fly the OLC contest and he lists four reasons why.

Answering his "reasons why not" is the following: 1&2. A Nimbus 4 is
not required since results are handicapped. Ron Schwartz flew his 1-26
to 11th in the world, and he did it from that soaring mecca known as
New Jersey. Fifth place was a Ventus 2 (Uwe) and ninth place an ASW27
(Ramy.) 3. Yes, the winner flew above 18,000" legally for some flights.
Most of the other winners are not instrument rated pilots and stayed
below 18K. 4. One does have to be at the right place at the right time
to win anything. That is true of soaring and many other sports. Wally
Scott kept his ASW12 assembled in an Odessa hangar and picked his days.
Hardly something to be upset about, but rather admired.

A better use for OLC is to learn and compare your flight with club
members and pilots flying in similar conditions. Much can be learned
from studying traces and Wx, take off times, average climb rates,
course deviations, and final glides. Anyone that posts six flights is a winner.

Richard Walters

Fuzzy is making my point: You can sort the OLC results in so many ways,
if you try hard enough you might find your name on top of one of the many
categories and regions. Our region 7 is not blessed with the best
soaring weather and you won't find any ridges but we compete every
weekend with the neighboring IN, MI, OH etc. clubs for the most points
and enjoy beating them at times.

Herb Kilian

Lol Herb, you seem to do alright usually but then you have to keep up with
Ted Clausing.

There's even something for us vintage pilots on the OLC now. They started a
Vintage ranking last year, and I think it has actually helped to get some
of us old timer glider pilots to go XC.

I know I'm not going to win the worldwide olc flying a Ka-6 in Wi but
posting to the OLC is still fun.

Pete