Old May 8th 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IFR use of handheld GPS

In article .com,
wrote:
That's not fact. As far as I can tell, the advisory circular that the
"fact" supposedly came from was paraphrased by some written test
preparation materials. That is what you quoted. Not fact. See the
original message from Dane. Neither the AC nor POHs say anything about
handhelds.

Section 1-1-19-d of the AIM addresses the general requirements
for conducting any GPS operations under IFR. Section 1-1-19-d1a
explicitly states (and I quote):

"Visual flight rules (VFR) and hand-held GPS systems are not authorized
for IFR navigation, instrument approaches, or as a principal instrument
flight reference."

It appears that the Gleim written test prep materials I cited in my previous
posting took much of their material from the AIM and not the AC. The AIM,
however, also does cite AC 20-138.

Again, this seems fairly clear to me.

-- Dane