Old October 4th 17, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default How to teach XC with lead/follow technique?

I agree with every thing you said except that simulation can never
generate that gut wrenching, oh **** feeling, when things don't work
out.Â* Of course, a better prepared pilot will be less likely to get into
those situations due to repetition and better judgment learned during
simulation.Â* (Hopefully).

On 10/4/2017 3:21 PM, Scott Manley wrote:
The airlines, military, and professional flight training businesses all understand that flight training (teaching/learning) is best done using simulation. All the fundamental skill prerequisites for XC, mentioned above, and all the XC-specific skills can be learned more efficiently and effectively in simulation.

That said, flight simulation is an instruction a tool. It is not a substitute for a qualified instructor. And, flight simulation is not the entire solution to the problem (only about 80% of the solution). It is the best environment for "learning" what needs to be learned. The aircraft is the best environment for "applying" what has been learned in simulation.

My recommendation is to use simulation to teach XC candidates what they need to know. Have them demonstrate required skills, knowledge, and judgement in simulation before wasting anyone's time/money in an actual aircraft.

By the way, all of advise given in this thread is great stuff. Nearly all of it could be incorporated into a simulation-based XC instructional program, today, and at little or no cost.

Simulation-based training can be done in groups. It can be done at any time of the day, any day of the week, and any time of year. It is not dependent on the availability of equipment (tow planes, two-place XC-capable gliders). It is not weather-dependent. It can be done at-a-distance, i.e., online with students and instructors being anywhere in the country.

And at the top of my simulation-based advantages is the opportunity to build mental experience. Flying is largely a mental exercise; knowing what to do, how to do it, and perhaps most importantly when to do something. Simulation affords the learner the time and opportunity to acquire the level of mental experience that creates safe, competent pilots.

The challenge, of course, is the reluctance of instructors to adopt simulation as a teaching/learning environment. I have yet to find a solution to that unfortunate reality.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

--
Dan, 5J