Old April 2nd 10, 06:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Szalay

Default Help please

"Wayne Paul" wrote in
:

"John Szalay" wrote in message
42...
Mike Mackenzie wrote in
:

The attached photo was sent to me by the curator of a local aviation
museum, requesting identification. Although it looks vaguely
familiar, I can't put a handle on it. Can anybody help?

given its size, shape and the selection of instruments, I tend to

think
glider or sailplane, will have to check some on that..Hummmm!

I doubt that it is from a glider. The size and shape lead me
initially to that conclusion; however, due to the Turn/Bank indicator;
the speed scale on the air speed indicator; and, the rate of climb
indicator is far to insensitive to be used as a variometer made me
abandon the glider option. (It would be nice to know what instrument
filled the empty hole.)

Here is a picture of my glider instruments which is a far cry from
what was available 50+ years ago.

I looked at some photos of several aircraft from then, Spitfire,
Hurricane, P-51 ETC:
the subpanel that includes those instruments, are of different shapes.
the altimeter appears limited, and the speed is fairly low for later
fighters, still looking..