Old May 26th 20, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

This is an interesting post. Where are you flying from that you seem to be totally alone? I've flown from many operations, all with an active cross country community. In any such operation, there is a vast amount of local experience with the nearby private airports. Most of the laudable ones will have been landed at. The unfriendly farmers will be known.

If you're trying to fly XC all alone in a PW5, I might suggest first of all moving to an operation where there is a good base of active cross country pilots. They will help you out with far more than just knowing which airports and fields are good to land at. If you are already at an active operation, for heaven's sake go talk to the experienced pilots and get the local briefing!

John Cochrane BB