Old November 1st 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Default About forward slips

Mxsmanic wrote:
What's the proper procedure to execute a forward slip, how should the
aircraft be expected to react when it is performed, and what are the
main uses of the forward slip? And why is it called a _forward_ slip?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slip_(aerodynamic)

Somebody said that MSFS cannot simulate forward slips correctly. What
is missing in the simulation?

I've read it has something to do with its inability to calculate the
lift, or perhaps just the default aircraft don't handle it. However,
I believe some third party aircraft explicity address the slip issue.
What's that C172 realistic addon? Drat. I've forgotten, but it's a
far better 172 than the stock one.

Note that, by default, MSFS is configured to link the rudder to the
ailerons. All turns are forced into coordinated turns, and there's no
independent rudder control.

That's a major reason why simmers who don't own rudder pedals get
little of the realism that the sim can sometimes offer.

Kev