Old March 30th 09, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default KPAE ILS...Now Requires DME...Why?

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

Here's a question. If you lose the glideslope, or it goes OTS,
you would now need something to tell you the distance for the LOC,
right?

No, you'd need something to mark the FAF.

And another question; it says that simultaneous reception of
I-PAE and PAE DME are required. If you lose one or the other (or if
one goes OTS), wouldn't that nix using the approach altogether?

It says simultaneous reception of I-PAE and PAE DME is required because the
DME source is PAE VOR/DME, not I-PAE localizer. The LOC/DME approach
requires two VHF NAV receivers for most users. If you lose I-PAE you cannot
fly the ILS or LOC/DME approach, if you lose PAE DME you cannot fly the
LOC/DME approach.