Old March 24th 17, 10:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Quietpilot

Default Issues with Dell Streak

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 4:30:47 AM UTC-5, Wade G wrote:
Since I have been unable to get access to the XCSoar forum thus far, I thought I'd go ahead and post my questions here.

I just got a used Dell Streak 5 that was previously an AT&T one.
It appears it is Android 1.6 and seems to be functioning fine.
I attempted to install XCSoar using wifi.
I first tried to install it by downloading the file its3elf but it won't let me install an app that isn't from google play. It also do not see an option to allow it to get apps from other sources.
I then tried to download it from google play. Google play tried to pull up the 'terms and conditions' web page but it appears the browser is no longer valid and won't let me go further.

What's next?
I have no SIM card for it but if I'm using wifi, I shouldn't need one, correct?

Correct I have no sim card and work fine.

Being new to Android, does it require that I get something like "CM7" or "fastboot" or something else?

You would need a fastboot to do upgrades to the OS or load a Custom ROM.

I assume that I have to either make the phone capable of accessing google play normally or I have to find a way to install XCSoar from a desktop?

I would upgrade to a newer android version first, then the market should allow you. The market may have moved beyond support for donut (1.6). loading software outside of market is possible but I lack the skills.

Will any of the changes interfere with the functionality of XCSoar and what it needs to operate (IE Bluetooth to connect with my vario).

I use my streak with a Nano 2 via bluetooth. using dells version of android, yes. using a custom rom. maybee?

ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Wade

I am surprised it is only 1.6 must have been an early one. I will have to check mine. I thought it came with android 2.3.3. Now that I check some shipped with 1.6 and upgraded over the air to 2.2 and later 2.3.3 which is where mine is. there are some resources on upgrading

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rjpoYA9xAk
http://max.kellermann.name/projects/xcsoar/streak.html

If all else fails convince me to trade with yours. XCSoar is preloaded and receives market updates. i'm using a e-ink device w/ integrated audio, GPS, and barometric sensors, but powered up the streak last week and it still works.