Old June 5th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

Default Defense against UAV's

Jim Yanik wrote:

:"Paul J. Adam" wrote in
:
:
: In message , Fred J. McCall
writes
:"Paul J. Adam" wrote:
::I'd like to keep the options open. Come in from above (where the sensors
::can't see you) and see if the downwash takes it out: if not, then donate
::some half-inch Raufoss at 1,100 rounds a minute.
:
:So would I. The difference is that I want to use some 20mm shells at
:6,000 RPM.
:
: And I'd like to give the gunner a larger target and more time to fire -
: plus not everyone, not even the USN, has a fast jet in attendance on
: every unit at all times, but many of those units have helicopters.
:
:[Paul might want to look up the firing rate for that GAU-16 on the
:SH-60 (slower - only 750 RPM), the ammo supply (100 round can), and
:the intended purpose of said weapon ("anti-surface warfare and
:anti-light armor weapon").
:
: Fred might want to look up the stats for the M3M - 1,100rpm and a
: 600-round feed - before making bold, sweeping statements. Not every
: naval helicopter is a SH-60 and not every doorgun is a GAU-16.
:
:This MIGHT give him some clue about why
:our opinions about how to do this differ - but, knowing Paul, it
:probably won't.]
:
: Just confirms the narrowness of Fred's mind - if he doesn't think it's
: possible then it can't be done, regardless of whether it's actually
: happening or not.
:
:Some helos also have pintle-mounted manually aimed 7.62 miniguns(gatlings)
:with a high rate of fire,and they would also be effective in downing a
:low&slow UAV.

That's one of the other things that an SH-60 might get instead of the
GAU-16. Note that it, too, is intended for attacking GROUND targets.
There is no weapon of which I am aware that is cleared for the SH-60
that is intended for use against air targets. Most SH-60s don't have
ANY gun fitted.

I'll again note that context matters, and the context of the
discussion was the Iranian claim that a US carrier 'scrambled to
helicopters and 4 fighters' to intercept their UAV.

It's a preposterous statement.

--
You have never lived until you have almost died.
Life has a special meaning that the protected