Old August 8th 03, 02:59 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: P-47/51 deflection shots into the belly of the German
tanks,reality
From: (Corey C. Jordan)

If nothing else, you will learn to appreciate the cast iron balls it took to
flying combat missions in WWII aircraft. Can you imagine landing a shot-up
F4U-4
deadstick aboard an Essex class CV in the dark? It'll curl your toes.

On the bomb run, where flak is usually heaviest. you fly straight and level
with bombay doors open. No turns No evasive action. You just do it. And getting
our toes curled was something we never worried about. And an 88 could do a
lot more to you than that You have never lived until you've see flak that is so
close you can see the red hot core in the midst of the black smoke,, feel the
shock of the explosion and hear the stuff raining. down on the skin of your
plane like rocks in a tin roof.When you see the black puffs the flak is
harmless because all the steel has already dropped away. I would love ot take
everyone on this NG for just one ride through a heavy flak field over Germany.
.. Just once. A second time would never be necessary
I's not the flak you see that hurts you, it is the flak you never see.that
kills you..
Go to my website and click on"FLAK".I took that shot in a heavy flakfield out
of the nose of Willie The Wolf. I think that one was over Koblenz.

Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer