Old December 21st 04, 04:11 PM
James M. Knox

(Jono) wrote in
om:

I was applying for a job as an ATCO, and have been given an invitation
to the selection day, however on the application form there was lots
of questions about vision - whether your short or long sighted etc,
but nothing about colour blindness. I have perfect vision except for a
slight red-green colour blindness. I fail on 30% of the ishihara
tests.

satisfy the medical criteria you would need to be able to pass the
"lantern" test."

Our FAA rules are a bit different, but here's what I think they are talking
about.

In the US, if you can't pass the color test, you can ask for a "light gun"
test and (if you pass) get a SODA (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability).
Fancy name for "if you can do it, we don't care how you do it". There are
only three colors you have to distinguish - RED, GREEN, and WHITE. They
shine the tower light gun at you and you tell them what color the light is.
[And you are allowed to practice before hand.]

Sounds like for yours it is done in the doctor's office instead, but
basically he just shows you the three lights and if you can tell which is
which... If you get the SODA, no more problems.

jmk