Old August 28th 04, 03:51 AM
Eric Greenwell

Chip Bearden wrote:
Had a similar problem with them trying to get tail dolly tubes. At
that time they stocked several different valve stem types but it took
a few phone calls to sort it out. My spare main tubes came from them
but that was a few years ago.

In an emergency it is fairly easy to modify the stem by cutting it,
sleeving it with brass model tube, and silver soldering. Had to do
that once when I forgot to remove the stem extender.

Probably easier to support your favorite glider parts dealer.

Easier still is replacing the tail dolly tube/wheel with a solid
rubber wheel from Home Depot. It's not TSO'd, but hopefully you'll
never take it with you in flight.

Or, for a particularly heavy tail like my ASH 26 E, I replaced the
entire caster unit, wheel and all, with a heavier duty one from Harbor
Freight. It was $10, so I bought a spare. I couldn't find a suitable
solid one, as they were either too hard and didn't roll well over cracks
and bumps, or didn't have sufficient load capacity (the problem with the
original tube and tire).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA