Old July 23rd 11, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vaughn[_3_]

Default The rudder waggle signal does not work

"Darryl Ramm" wrote in message
It's been a few years since I was an active CFIG, but we tested the rudder
waggle on every flight review. I don't recall anyone failing to release when
they got the waggle except for a few cases when they were briefed immediately
before the flight.. As far as I can see, the signal is well intended, but a
complete failure.

Vaughn

Uh I assume that was an unintended typo and you meant failing to
release when they got the rock-off signal?

Nope, I meant just what I said. Virtually all pilots did the wrong thing,
(released when the got the rudder waggle) unless they were briefed right before
the flight and knew what was going to happen. We would typically do this as an
excercise on the first "pattern" flight of the flight review. On the ground, we
would then have a productive discussion about that signal

Vaughn