Old June 19th 18, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default WTB Piper Cub or similar Cockpit Glider Release

On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 4:10:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

A lever mounted high likely will work but a T handle will only be useful dropping the rope. You can't pull hard enough if hook is under load for some hooks.
UH

Hopefully they are using a Tost release, as original poster is in NZ. That would probably work just fine with a panel T-handle - just like in a glider..

OT somewhat, but our Pawnees have the Tost internal tow rope reel system installed (works great) which use a guillotine to release the rope if needed. Rope is pretty substantial, but that guillotine cuts it like a knife through butter with only a gentle pull on the (short) release handle, mounted right in front of the throttle. Same release handles were hooked up to the Schweizer hooks we had before; they took a much harder pull to release the rope - especially with a vertical force (yes we tried the "kiting" condition). Strongly encourage you to try your releases with the rope under tension at odd angles - better to know ahead of time how they will work when really needed!

Kirk
66