Old July 3rd 06, 10:17 AM posted to alt.global-warming,rec.aviation.owning
Dylan Smith

Default Nothing good about Ethanol (moved for topic)

On 2006-07-02, wrote:
It is now almost warm enough in England *AGAIN* to produce decent wine.

A little more waming and England will be back to the climate of 2000
years ago and once again English wine will be available in the civilized
world.

Interesting point of note: I have two Washingtonia Filifera (California
fan palms) in my back yard. Only little ones at the moment. I went and did
my medical on Friday. My AME has a 20 foot California fan palm in
his front garden.

I live further north than the entire lower 48 states of the Continental
US!

Our small mountain, Snaefell, means Snow Mountain. It seldom gets snow
on it (and this isn't recent: cabbage trees (known as Manx Palms here)
have been endemic for at least a couple of hundred years, and if
Snaefell really was snowy, then it'd be too cold for the cabbage trees
which are natives of New Zealand, and not as hardy as native trees).

The point? The climate of the British Isles is less about the average
global temperature, but more about the influence of the Gulf Stream. The
Irish Sea in particular is relatively warm, and that's why despite me
living further north than the entire lower 48, I have to scrape ice off
my car windscreen about as often as I did when living in Houston, Texas
- i.e. about twice a year. If the warm ocean currents go elsewhere, the
British Isles could become a very cold place just as easily, and we
could be opening a ski resort on Snaefell rather than growing tropical
plants!

Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute:
http://oolite-linux.berlios.de