Old April 30th 07, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Default Fuel Flow and Peak EGT

Mike Noel wrote:
That brings up an interesting point. I think the Lycoming recommendation
previously was 75% power for unrestricted leaning. Lately I have seen 65%
as a recommendation. Anyone have any background on the two different
limits?

Lycoming has always given recommended limitations on operations. 75% in
cruise was always the common limit for leaning. Other documents have given
lower numbers with the phrase "for maximum service life". Here's an example
from a Lycoming Key Reprint article on leaning :

8. For maximum service life, maintain the following recommended
limits for continuous cruise operation:
a. Engine power setting — 65% of rated or less.
b. Cylinder head temperatures — 400˚ F. or below.
c. Oil temperature — 165˚ F. — 220˚ F.

Available at
http://www.lycoming.com/support/tips...Operations.pdf

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)