Old January 25th 04, 05:59 AM
Jim Baker

Bingo, the first fully explained and correct answer. Thanks Darrell.

I'm surprised the Hustler flew so slow low level. I just always assumed
since it was such a hotass machine that it flew faster. We planned/flew the
Bone at 560 KTAS/.8Mach.

For the original poster, the B-1B, for example, flies downwind in the
pattern at 270 KIAS. That's the top of the range (IIRC) given in the "Dash
One" and is what we always flew while I was flying from '86-'97.

Cheers,

JB

"Darrell" wrote in message
If the "Dash One" manual for the military airplane specifies a speed

higher
than 250 below 10,000' it's OK to fly that fast. In the B-58 Hustler,

after
takeoff we came out of afterburners at 350 KIAS and climbed at 425 KIAS
until reaching Mach .90 for climb speed. That's why other aircraft try

stay clear of military climb corridors. We flew low level routes at 435
KIAS except for the high speed portion where we flew at 600 KIAS. (and
that's back in the 1960s)

--

B-58 Hustler History: http://members.cox.net/dschmidt1/
-

"Tetsuji Rai" wrote in message
s.com...
Airspeed limitation below 10000ft is usually 250kts unless you have been
authorized by the Administrator. However I guess it's a bit slow for
military fighters. So I am curious how fast military fighters fly in

the
real world. I guess it's very dangerous military aircraft fly much

fast
among civilian planes.