Old January 17th 05, 04:21 AM
Happy Dog

"Blueskies" wrote in
You know, hindsight is always 20-20, but if they lost oil pressure and
still had a running engine, why didn't they try to land anywhere they
could right now with what engine they had left rather that trying to nurse
it to get to the airport? I'm not sure what I would do now that I think of
it; I would have to watch the other engine instruments to see if the CHT
was going high (if it was installed) thus confirming oil loss. Maybe need
to make a decision right here right now, on the ground, that if I see low
or zero pressure I will land immediately...

IIRC, on the Cessna Lycoming, the Gauge and the Idiot Light are separate
circuits. If one or the other remains in the Oil Pressure OK state, and the
temps don't rise, you have oil pressure. If they both indicate oil pressure
loss, it is over. Unless you need to travel some distance (over water,
perhaps) perform a forced approach. Don't rely on the fan for anything.

The video shows him way too high and fast for the fairway. And, if I read
the Terraserver image correctly, that was his only option at that point.

moo