Old August 18th 03, 11:17 AM
Steve House

I've never heard any so-called "activist" use homophobe as a synonym for
"not homosexual." I have heard it used to refer to heterosexual people who
have a negative reaction to those around them who ARE homosexual or who
oppose to the total acceptance of homosexuality as being just as normal,
just as valid, just as moral, just as legitmate, as is being straight and I
think there is a strong case to be made for that as being the explanation
for their emotional reaction to homosexuals. There is a vast sifference
between someone saying "I am heterosexual" and saying "Homosexuals and
homosexual acts disgust me and I don't want them around me or to have my
children exposed to the idea they are normal." All too often, I suspect,
opposition to gays in the workplace, gays expressing affection in public,
gays in the miltary, gays in schools and scouting, gay marriage, etc stems
from a deep set and totally illogical expression of the latter feeling. Why
anyone would care what someone else's sex, love, and relationship styles may
be is beyond me. We don't morally condemn people for having differing
tastes is food, music, art, or hobbies - why should some people should be
viewed with even the slightest bit of negativity for having a minority
sexual reaction patterns that differ from our own tastes? From any sensible
moral and social perspective, the difference between the homosexual and
heterosexual lifestyles is on a par with the difference in liking chocolate
versus vanilla ice cream and it shouldn't be considered any more of a
measure of the person's qualities and character than is that. IMHO, it is a
fact that homosexuality or bisexuality is just as moral and valid a life
pattern as is heterosexuality in every respect and any opposition to its
complete and total acceptance as such by society is prima facie evidence of
homophobia on the part of those who reject it. You don't need to be
homosexual in order to completely accept the presence and social
participation of homosexuals in all aspects of society without reservation.

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
| rec.scouting.usa, for example, has been completely hijacked by
| heterophobes
|
| Heterophobes? Somehow, I doubt that. Sounds like a term made up by
| homophobes.

Heterophobe is intended to be a response to the defamatory and over-used
term homophobe. I doubt that there are any homophobes, but too many
activists use the term to describe anyone who is not a homosexual.