Old October 14th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
J.McEachen

Default Midway museum - San Diego

Well, I wasn't entirely wrong. I wish you had "corrected" me with facts
instead of merely sending an uninformative broadside. Have you joined
the Navy yet, or still wishing while watching Salem?

The product of the Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company,
she was the lead ship of three 45,000-ton Midway class CVBs, followed
by USS Franklin D. Roosevelt, CVB-42 and USS Coral Sea, CVB-43. Two
additional ships were canceled. Midway's keel was laid on October 27,
1943. The Midway class hull arrangement was modeled on the canceled
Montana class battleships and was a new, much larger design intended
to correct certain problems in the Essex class design. They had
armored flight decks, requiring a much larger hull and lower
freeboard, to reduce top weight. They also carried a very heavy AA
battery of 5/54 weapons. The armor requirement was originally meant
to counter 8" cruiser gunfire, but by the time the ships were laid
down the focus had shifted to defending against aircraft attack.

Andrew C. Toppan wrote:
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 02:45:21 GMT, "J.McEachen"
wrote:

comparing her to my Forrestal, not fair as the Midways started out
as converted BB hulls.

They did not! The US Navy never convered a battleship to a carrier.
Ever.