Old August 11th 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default (USA only) Managing 911 response to off field landings

On Aug 10, 2:51*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
Jim,

You mentioned this was in NJ. Be aware that NJ has a law that
prohibits landing a plane other than at an airport. One of our club
members from Philadelphia Glider landed out in NJ, and the NJ State
Police showed up (in pairs, as usual). They were not friendly, going
so far as to try to get the land owner to press charges. Afterwards a
friend of mine talked to a NJ Medevac, who confirmed there was indeed
a problem landing off airport in NJ. Your best best next time is to
stretch the glide to PA - we're friendlier! grin

-John

IANAL, so I guess it depends how you, or those 'assisting' you, define
a land out in NJ according to the state statute.

6:2-6. Flight over lands permitted; liability for forced landing
Flight in aircraft over the lands and waters of this state is lawful,
unless at such a low altitude as to interfere with the then existing
use to which the land or water, or the space over the land or water,
is put by the owner, or unless so conducted as to be imminently
dangerous to persons or property lawfully on the land or the water
beneath. The landing of an aircraft on the lands or waters of another,
without his consent, is unlawful, except in the case of a forced
landing. For the damages caused by a forced landing, however, the
owner or lessee of the aircraft or the airman shall be liable as
provided in section 6:2-7 of this title.