Old March 10th 04, 06:16 PM
Eric Greenwell

Jim Vincent wrote:

some pilots are not "in the zone" with their gliders, and could not
determine a "lifted wing" if they had rely on it to find a therma

I was recently enlightened by Tom Knauff that the lifted wing approach only
works about half the time.

If this were true, then that implies turning towards the lifted wing
theory is no better than chance: just flip a coin. But, we know that's
not true, because I and other pilots routinely improve our results by
turning towards the lifted wing.

Perhaps the explanation given above doesn't reflect what Tom actually
does, since I'm sure he is improving his results at least as much as I
am. Or maybe it's a reflection of his grasp of probability, as in: "the
chances of a rope break on tow are 50-50: it'll happen or it won't".

And no need to hyperventilate in Tom's defense, as he's heard that
before from many other people!

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA