Old October 22nd 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default AIR Glide S

Nice description, thanks!

Most of my experience with shear in New Mexico has involved a long line
of clouds with bases considerably higher on one side of the line. It's
a simple matter to find and use the lift. Next time I get the chance to
fly in shear I'll try to watch the wind indication on my ClearNav
vario. It's pretty quick to update, but I don't think it will be as
useful as you described.

On 10/21/2015 9:09 PM, JS wrote:
Dan et al,
Flying in convergence, the Air-Glide informs you of approaching shear line conditions. The wind changes from a ~10Kt tailwind through 9, 6, 4, 3, to "Still", at which point your vario is going up. If you fly through the shear, there will be a similar indicated headwind.
Running along the shear, if the wind is from your right, move left. If it is from your left, move right. Simple. Accurate. Just as you imagine this shear stuff works.
No other vario I have personally flown with that will do that.
Jim

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 2:33:02 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
That's great for telling me what does, but not how to use it. Are
you saying to always turn downwind in the local micro wind to get to
the center of the thermal?

Maybe my CNvXC vario has this capability, maybe not. I'll have to
do some research on that. In the mean time, I've had good luck with
finding thermals at the upwind edge of cumulus clouds. That's not
always the case but true more often than not.

On 10/21/2015 8:34 AM, Alex wrote:

Comparing instantaneous wind to average wind will show you any local wind deviations as they occur near thermals. Can't find the thermal under a cloud? Just follow the diverging local wind. Need to find the best line along a cloud street or convergance? Watch the local wind. Feel that blue thermal nearby, but not sure where to turn? The wind will tell you.

Am Mittwoch, 21. Oktober 2015 16:01:38 UTC+2 schrieb Dan Marotta:

Of what use is instantaneous wind? Can you react to it without
flapping control surfaces all over the place? Do you use it for
planning your next turn in a thermal?

Not knocking it, I just don't get it why it would be important.
Please enlighten me.

Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J