Old August 24th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Least Expensive Plane To Buy and Own

On Aug 24, 9:48 am, Ross wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Aug 23, 11:45 pm, "Michael Adams" wrote:

I am looking for some input on the least expensive airplanes to own. I've
heard so many horror stories about the $5000 or even $15,000 annual, or the
seat adjuster that costs $600, that I thought I would get some input on this
before buying. So I'm looking for low purchase price (used), low repair and
parts costs, and low $ per hour to run.

Michael

That is the nature of renting. Unless you are flying 100-150 hours per
year renting is going to save you a lot of money and be more
predictable.

-robert

What Robert says it true. Any financial planner will tell you the same
thing. Goes for boats, RVs, etc; renting is better.

Having said that, it sure is nice to go to your hangar and pull our your
plane when all the rentals are out until nightfall.

I think you are being unrealistic - this is an expensive hobby,
unfortunately. Even the LSAs were supposed to be inexpensive. The Legion
Cub is $100,000.

Totally, that is why I own my Mooney. I could probably rent a Baron
for the cost of owning the Mooney. However, I love going out to the
airport and launching into the fog without having to worry about the
condition of the instrumentation, etc. There are lots of great reasons
for owning a plane, but financial is not one of them.

-robert