Old September 21st 03, 04:16 PM
Larry Smith

"Jan Carlsson" wrote in message
The right metal propeller will make your plane go faster, climb better,

but
just marginally compered to the right wood prop. (with this kind of draggy
planes) if you have a bad choosen propeller on now, you will pick up some
speed to the cost of extra fuel.

Every speed, RPM and power setting have its own optimal propeller

diameter,
pitch, blade area.....
The diameter and pitch have the biggest influence on the performance One
inch on the diameter change the RPM as much as 2 inch pitch change.

A Climb prop should not turn faster then the redline with WOT during a

climb
(Vy)
A Cruise prop should not turn faster then redline with WOT at your cruise
alt.
A Standard prop fall in between the two above!

A Cub or Champ with a A-65 or C-90 both have a 72"X42" as Standard prop
(wood) (the C-90 will be about 9 MPH faster at cruise, using 30% more

fuel)

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

Thanks for the link, Jan. I get 2100 rpm on static runup with a 72-42
Sensenich wooden climb prop. It will easily over-rev in straight and level
flight. Now what should I get static with a 72-44 prop? More or less?
Less, I would think. I haven't tried it on yet, but plan to just to see.
The engine has recently been rebuilt and so the old numbers, which were
lower at static, iirc, are no longer valid.