Old April 17th 04, 03:59 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Now, if you
bank the plane so that one wing is horizontal, that wing will have no
horizonal lift vector component. But, the other wing will have double.

The
result is a big, net horizontal force on the plane. This forces the plane
to the center of the turn the way the force in a string swinging a rock
keeps the rock in a circle. That's what makes a plane able to go in a
circle, not the rudder.

Not quite. This does not change the direction of the nose, which is

essential
for turning. By itself, what you post would lead to a slip. The plane

would
travel in a straight line, at some angle to the nose.

I guess this confuses me a bit. Maybe I'm tired and my brain confuses
easily.

Isn't it the case, in an earth-centric reference frame, that an object
moving in a straight line, when subjected to a horizontal force
perpendicular to that motion, will move in a circle?