Old February 18th 12, 03:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On 2/17/2012 6:32 AM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Im starting to think that some think I am arguing so that I can
personally cheat. I hope not. I just think that going against the
tide of technology here is a waste of time. stop, and go with it.

I do not think you are hoping to cheat.

Why do you, eric, think it is bad to allow AH for everyone and
smartphones? Just go with it? Would that be bad? Why?

I do think that following your recommendations could lead to people
cheating (and discovering they can not handle cloud flying), and that it
could lead people to thinking others ARE cheating (so they decide "why
bother entering contests?").

I do think that it is becoming increasingly easier to cheat, given
changes in technology, so perhaps the method to discourage cloud flying
needs to change. The most practical one I can think of is a daily
altitude limit enforced like the current one on 18,000'. A long term
approach could be one that detects cloud around the glider, such as
video or relative humidity, and makes it part of the logger record.

The "honor method" seems impractical if everyone has an AH on their
panel, without some means penalizing egregious abuse. That might be a
committee of pilots, chosen randomly each day, that examines logger
files for climbs well above others in the area, and gives penalties.

email me)