Old February 18th 12, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default New Butterfly Vario

On 2/17/2012 6:39 AM, Sean Fidler wrote:
Eric- i understand that in europe cloud flying training was part of
the private glider pilot requirements. not sure if this is still the
case today.

in general i think basic instrument skills should be a part of all
pilot training, even sport& glider pilot. every pilot should have
some basic understanding of how to maintain control of their aircraft
if forced into imc. im not saying they will all live, but that
doesn't mean they should not have some training.

That is always available in a power plane, but I don't many glider-only
pilots seek it out, and I think requiring it would reduce the number of
glider pilots entering the sport if it were required, but to the point
here (contests): contest experience has not shown that it would help.

email me)