Old December 13th 11, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Best Club class glider

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:31:12 +0000, Paul T wrote:

Thanks for the opinions so far - just to clarify I would like to get an
idea of the pro's and con's of each ship (let's discount things like
state of trailer instruments ect.)

Two comments: the first may save you some searching. The second is pure
opinion.

- ASW-19, ASW-20, Pegase 101 and 90
It is worth remembering that all these have essentially the same cockpit,
so if you're comfortable in one, you'll be comfortable in the others.
Differences:
- the 19, 20 and Pegase 101 all have Hoteliers. The Pegase 90
is later than the more common 101 and has automatic connecting
controls.

- The 20C and Peg 90 have lifting panels as standard. I'm not sure
about the 20F and Peg 101. The others didn't but quite a lot of
them have had a lifting panel fitted.

- Std Libelle
I fly one and love it, but if you have wide shoulders you may not fit: it
has a rather narrow cockpit though length generally isn't an issue. All
controls are self-connecting except the ailerons, and they are easy to
connect. The glider is light and easy to rig. All-round vis is about the
best there is. I can see my rudder waggling even when strapped in. Its
easy to fly, thermals very well and is fairly spin resistant but you must
fly it accurately: the teardrop fuselage x-section generates a lot of
drag when yawed, but OTOH it comes down like a sack of anvils when
slipped. Two caveats: the brakes are weak, which makes it a little harder
to land tidily since it does float on, and it is *ESSENTIAL* to get a
good briefing from an experienced Libelle driver before you winch it for
the first time. Glasfaser, who took over type support when Glasflugel
folded, are friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to do business with.

HTH

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK