Old March 14th 10, 12:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_2_]

Default difference between SZD-48-1 and SZD 48

What the difference between an SZD-48-1 and SZD?

SZD means Szybowcowe Zaklady Doswiadczalne in free translation:
Sailplane Experimental Factories - there was more than one.
48-1 is a glider model.
The early versions of 48 had vents placed under the wings, the later
version called 48-1 had a vent positioned up front, under the belly.
48-1 had a different water ballast tanks - I'd imagine control rod
would be different for that reason as well. It seem that you have an
early version of the 48. Please contact the North American dealer;
He's plenty of help.

*I don't really know
that much about these aircraft. *At the moment I'm trying to help
resolve an issue with play in the ailerons on a glider that is suppost
to be an SZD-48-1. *One of the control rods has a lot of wear from the
rollers and needs to be replaced. *The control rode from the SZD-48-1
parts catalog really doesn't match the one from the glider.

The Tech has an entry in 1978 stating the following:
convert to SZD-48-1 from SZD 48

The differences between the two we different water ballast tanks,
different extendable gear assembly and those vent holes.

On other thing I noticed is that this glider had side vents on the
fuse that I never noticed in the parts catalog. *Did the factory make
mutant jantars??? *Wondering if I need an SZD 48 catalog??

Any help would be appreciated. *The serial number is w856.

Thanks