Old September 8th 15, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

Change the PTS! How successful would light airplanes be if pilots were never required to train x/c in them? A newly minted private pilot has four choices at my club. Fly Schwizers locally, spend 20k+ on a glass ship you don't know how to fly, quit, teach others how to do take offs and landings in a 2-33. That last option is the real root of the problem. The core of our nation's clubs and greatest influence on those new to soaring never learned to actually soar! Until x/c is a requirement only people with time, money, and the ability to self teach will be able to it. (Old retired guys)...