Old February 18th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Australian Air Safari ??

Eric Bartsch wrote:
Unfortunately this company (GOANA Safari) did stop operating at the end
of 2005 due to new security regulations in Australia that made it
difficult for foreign pilots to get checked out in their planes. I had
always hoped to do this someday, but looks like I missed my chance.
They used to have a booth at Oshkosh with all of the information.

It's not the checkout. I got checked out under the new rules (I
essentially had to do a full up BFR, just added an additional day).

What killed them is that to go into any airport with scheduled
air service (and we're talking about nowhere airports without
even a fence around them) you need a security card. The Australian
bureaucracy won't even start processing cards for foreigners until
you get to Australia which means you'd have to allocate a couple
of extra weeks in front of the tour to push papers.