Old March 30th 20, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don Johnstone[_4_]

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

At 03:18 30 March 2020, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 3/29/2020 7:31 PM:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 8:32:23 AM UTC-7, Eric

Greenwell wrote:
Duster wrote on 3/28/2020 7:19 PM:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ

that=E2=80=99s w=
orth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be

too high by=
orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the

costs i=
t imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and

physical he=
alth. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the

empirical basis=
of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-the-coronavirus-as-

deadly-as-they=
-say-11585088464

I live in Washington State. In my area, with four nearby towns

totalin=
g about
250,000, we've had 5 covid-19 deaths in just one month.

Compare that t=
o four flu
deaths in 5 months (flu season), and while flu infections have

been de=
creasing,
Covid infections are increasing.

Here's the deal for me:
- we don't know if this will have a seasonal decline like the flu

does=

- we know it is much more infectious with higher mortality
- we don't have a vaccine
- we don't have a treatment
- at 77, I am a member of the high risk group

I totally support our current efforts to restrict social contact,

and =
other
precautions.

=20
If you look at actuarial tables, you'll probably find your risk of

dyin=
g this year is about the same as the 'high risk' covid group.

My point is getting infected increases my risk of dying, as the

actuarial=
tables=20
don't account for Covid-19.

--=20
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (change ".netto" to ".us"

to email=
me)

https://sites.google.com/site/motorg...ions/download-
th=
e-guide-1

I think as a country you face two problems, one is the disease itself
and the other is your reaction to it. Like it or not your country is
being judged on the actions of your government, mainly your
president who appears to be hell bent on earning the name
"Spinning Trump" We see the number of aircraft criss-crossing the
USA and wonder why you are still allowing the spread of the disease.
We wonder why our government is still allowing aircraft from the
USA, particularly New York to land here. What you guys are doing
and saying over there is really scary. I feel that it is insensitive to
talk about exaggerated figures, particularly deaths on a forum that
can be seen in northern Italy.
The US could find itself a pariah, health wise, in the rest of the world
if your government(s) don't get a grip.