Old January 5th 04, 07:45 PM

Jay Honeck wrote:
: Does AMR&D have two different prop mods?

: A friend bought his prop from them, and it's billed as a "speed prop" --
: which it achieves at the expense of climb.
: --

I think they've only got one prop mod, but it's touchy to get the pitch correct
after that. In my friend's case, he did the prop mod, prop re-pitch, high-compression
mod on the engine (160hp), and an overhaul all at once. He said it would initially
exceed redline in a Vy climb! After the re-pitch, he gained about 5 mph in cruise, and
climbs out at 2400 rpm.

With any fixed-pitch prop on a semi-streamlined plane, it's a compromise
between static RPM and thrust (and consequently climb) vs. cruise speed/economy. Only
in a "mono-speed" plane (takeoff 90, cruise 90, land 90) can a fixed prop be "optimal."

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *