Old April 14th 04, 01:40 AM
Peter Duniho

"Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo" wrote in message
Thank you, Pete. THAT was the key...SCSI as stand-in for SATA. Works!
Now for phase II ... deciding between RAID [which seems to be a
necessity when one gets into the SATA slots...dunno...but otherwise
Windows does not show the drives other than in a RAID array and this
program that popped up called 'VIA RAID' something or other...mind you,

You're welcome.

Your SATA is the same as your RAID controller. But that doesn't necessarily
mean you have to create a RAID array to get things working. It just means
you need to install the appropriate drivers for that controller so that
Windows can talk to it. It will work fine as a plain-vanilla disk
controller too.

In my own case, I didn't take the direct route, so I'm not really certain
what the direct route looks like. I had all the same problems you're
having now, and so wound up installing Windows onto the drive with the drive
attached to the IDE controller, rather than the SATA controller. (This was
before SATA drives were commonly available, and so the drives are actually
regular old-fashioned parallel ATA drives, with an extra adapter attached to
convert to SATA; a little kludgy, but it did allow me to move the drives
from one controller to the other as I worked things out).

It's almost certain that -- going along my indirect route -- I didn't have
to install the Windows drivers for the controller until after I had gotten
Windows itself installed and booting, working on the old IDE controller. So
in some respects, even though I had many iterations of "unplug the drive,
swap the cable, plug it back in", I did simplify the drive installation
aspect. Of course, with drives that are actually SATA-only, this isn't an
option. But if you have both connectors on the drives, it would be. Just
do all the setup (including installing the drivers for the SATA controller)
with the drives attached to the old IDE controller. Then move everything
over when you're done.

By the way, "VIA RAID" makes it sound to me like you've got a SATA/RAID
controller that uses a chipset manufacturered by the VIA company. They are
well-known for their various motherboard components, so this isn't really a
news flash or anything I guess. Just something to keep in mind when you're
doing the CD shuffle, looking for the one with the controller drivers.

Good luck!

Pete