Old July 25th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Default US team silence

Steve,
You are confusing pilots who are out to win a World Championship
with others who just want to tag along for fun. Kawa and other
serious racers are out to win a WGC, and the best ones don't want
others to be able to tag along for fun, or to gain a competitive
advantage on them through this technology. They view this as
leeching off their better glider flying abilities. That's why some of
them want the FAI WGC rules changed. You are not racing under
FAI WGC rules in the USA. UH is just making some suggestions
where the FAI WGC rules could be modified to lessen the gripes that
serious racers like Kawa have with the system as it exists now.
RO

RO: Your point is well taken. It's just that Hank is on the US rules committee, not the WGC rules committee -- hence my US rules perspective counterpoint. At any rate, my own view on that matter may change in a couple weeks when I win at Uvalde and have to deal with all the leeches waiting for me to start. :-)
GW