Old August 15th 05, 05:18 PM
Dave S

I had really been thinking of getting Lasik done. Then I saw the doctors
that invented the process on TV. (They were getting some award) They all had
glasses.

There is another change that occurs in they eye as you reach middle and
older age: The lens of the eye becomes stiffer and less flexible. This
affects the eye's ability to "accomodate" or focus on items at different
distances.

Even though I had my Lasik before the age of 30, I know that I will
likely need "reading" glasses again before I reach 50. That still makes
it worth it, having clear vision on awakening, instead of having to put
in -5.0 contacts or find my glasses before I can go do things.

It would have even been better when I was a paramedic and volunteer
firefighter, as when I was a medic, I had to sleep in my "extended wear"
lenses overnight on the nights I worked.. and I had to PUT IN my lenses
before I could run a fire call.

Overall, it was worth it. But as someone else said.. there IS a risk
that you may have permanent side effects, particularly at night. Do your
homework. Get SEVERAL free evaluations from different physicians. Make
sure you are a good candidate.

Dave