Old May 21st 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Spark plug cleaner

On May 20, 7:10*pm, wrote:
On May 20, 3:34 pm, "Mike Noel" wrote:

Then I discovered (U)REM37BY plugs and ground leaning. *The 37BY plugs were
designed to run hotter and stay cleaner than the 40E's. *For taxi I
aggressively lean the engine to near idle cut-off and keep the RPM around
1000 most of the time. *When flying and not needing maximum performance, I
reduce power to 65% or less and lean to engine stumble, then slightly enrich
to obtain smooth power.

Since changing to the hotter plugs learning to lean as aggressively as
possible for the engine power setting, I have not had a bad mag check.

* * Some guys clean plugs just using the pick. Blasting erodes them
and shortens the life, especially if silicon carbide grit is used. I
use only glass bead. I use an electric engraving tool ($10) with the
Champion digger bit (more than $10) in it to clean out the lead
deposits.

* *Unison's UREM37BY plugs have given us nothing but grief. Some of
them had threads that were too large and seized in the helicoils in
the heads. Their internal resistors were failing in as little as 50
hours. I never cared for Champs but they were never this bad. The old
Auburn plugs were by far the best ever, until Champion bought them up
and shut them down. A sad day for piston pushers.

* * *Now Champion has purchased the Slick magneto line from Unison.
Hope they don't screw it up, or increase the prices dramatically.

Dan

I should also mention: The Champion REM37BYs are OK, as far as
Champs go. They don't run hotter that I know of. They have a very
shallow well and extended electrodes that can't be shorted by the
deposits that fill the wells of plugs like the 38 or 40. See this:

http://www.sacskyranch.com/faqsparkplug.htm

Go a third of the way down the page. Don't be fooled by the longer
reach of the plug on the right; it should be a shorter threaded plug,
with threads the same length of the 37BY. The BY's electrodes will
reach farther into the cylinder, so check to see that they're OK to
install in your engine. Champion has that info. Some engines have
pistons that come close enough they might hit such a plug.

Dan