Old May 21st 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
texas slacker

Default Spark plug cleaner

On May 21, 6:53*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:
On Wed, 20 May 2009 18:22:32 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Go a third of the way down the page. Don't be fooled by the longer
reach of the plug on the right; it should be a shorter threaded plug,
with threads the same length of the 37BY. The BY's electrodes will
reach farther into the cylinder, so check to see that they're OK to
install in your engine. Champion has that info. Some engines have
pistons that come close enough they might hit such a plug.

Dan

Dan I run 100/130 avgas in my O-200 without any problems.
the standard REM40E plugs foul up enough to make the O-200 fart about
in a worrying fashion.
I use Champion REM38E plugs and have no real dramas. I think I pick
the lead out of maybe 2 plugs in 8 at annual.
I use an engineer's common old scriber point.

stop dropping the plugs bumblefingers :-)

Thanks to all - I am running mogas so there is no lead problem like
when I ran avgas. This problem presents itself every 3 or 4 years, I
guess that is why I didn't have anything to go in the electrode gap.
I think I may try a pick for the main cavity and a feeler guage to
clean the electrode gap and if that doesn't work I'll go the carbide
route. Incidentally the identical looking carbide blaster turned up
on Harbor Freight for $10. Nothing is sacred anymore.