Old April 20th 16, 04:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default AOA indicator

On 4/20/2016 5:16 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
Not an instrument as such, but...

Even after all this time and despite it being written for power pilots,
there's a lot of sense in Wolfgang Langewiesche's "Stick and Rudder" with
its advice to "fly the wing".

"Roger all previous comments on 'Stick and Rudder'..."

As to "fly the wing," somewhere or other I read an interview of Bob Hoover in
which he noted that his 'messing around' (my words) in a(n ~37hp) E2 Cub prior
to becoming a military cadet taught him how to fly a wing.

His autobiography "Forever Flying" also notes his self-taught aerobatics began
(in pre "Stick and Rudder" days) with a somewhat technical book by "Bernie"
Lay, which Hoover more or less memorized before ever having an opportunity to
get in an airplane. Lest anyone think I'm advocating aerobatics self-taught as
THE way to learn how to 'fly the wing,'
the first few chapters of "Forever Flying" will make it abundantly clear how
Darwinian such an approach is!

Bob W.