Old June 2nd 18, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default ADSB out in tow planes

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 12:18:26 PM UTC-7, Charles Longley wrote:
Are you talking about this statement?
“PowerFLARM is aimed at the glider not GA community, PowerFLARM talks FLARM serial protocol and you can display that ADS-B traffic on any devices that supports that protocol (e.g. LXNav FLARMView displays, Air Avionics traffic displays, LXNav flight computers, ClearNav flight computers, Naviter Oudie, PDA/PNAs running soaring software, etc.) ”

So will all of those options display FLARM targets?

Look I am a power guy that’s transitioning to gliders for retirement. So I have questions. I just got my first glider specific computer an Oudie a couple of weeks ago.

Yes. And they also show ADS-B (1090ES Out only) targets *when received by a PowerFLARM*.

This whole area is unfortunately a quagmire of confusing stuff. The soaring/FLARM related stuff is very specialized and the European vendors largely do an poor job explaining how their stuff will or won't work in the more complex USA ADS-B environment. Be careful their reading product specs/claims and assuming too much from that before talking to folks who know what actually works.

And you are going in multiple directions here. I would encourage you to start by talking with local glider pilots who have PowerFLARM installs and have them show you/demo what they have. You may be able to borrow a Portable unit to fly with in your glider or towplane or at least play with on the ground.

Your Naviter Oudie will display FLARM traffic data (FLARM and ADS-B/1090ES In traffic data from a connected PowerFLARM). You can find out more in the Oudie/SeeYou documentation look for "FLARM Radar", they mean FLARM traffic display by that... I wish Naviter would just call it "FLARM traffic".

Some folks (like me) would prefer a more dedicated FLARM traffic display on their panel even if they also have that data going to something like an Oudie.

The PowerFLARM might simply drive a Oudie over hard wired serial connection and providing basic GPS as well as traffic data to the Oudie, more sophisticated installs will combine data from a soaring vario/flight computer and traffic data from the PowerFLARM. The moment you start scratching this it likely gets complex. And you are missing a decade or so of experience folks here have with this stuff, so again your local PowerFLARM users are likely the best place to start. And once you get a better idea of all the possible options and what you want to do then one of the USA PowerFLARM dealers is the place to go. They should know what works with what, all the bits you need, and how to configure stuff or how to get questions answered if they don't know.