Old August 1st 03, 01:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

kevin wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with the Maule with the Allison turbine
engine ? The Maule with the Lycombing IO-540 is $170.M , where the
MT7-420 is going for $470.M new. I would have to add about $75.M in
options for either bird. What do you think about the Allison turbine in
a Maule ?

The turbine carries 35 pounds more and takes the same distance to clear a
50' obstacle. The major difference is the 2800 fpm climb rate versus the
1500 fpm for the piston engine. The turbine goes for $450,000. There are
several models of 235 hp planes, one of which costs $139,600.

So. That climb rate will set you back over $300,000 and burn twice as much
fuel. It wouldn't be worth it to me.

Check http://www.mauleairinc.com for figures.

George Patterson
The optimist feels that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist is afraid that he's correct.
James Branch Cavel