Old May 31st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Tools: Crappy Camloc Drill Jig

JKimmel wrote:

Skrud wrote:

Purchased a MilSpec brand handheld drill jig for Camloc receptacles a few
weeks ago and used it for the first time today. What a piece of crap.

The "tool steel" bushing must not be hardened, as it wallowed out after 7
uses (14 holes). Junk, junk, junk. Going to have it hardness tested
at work
tomorrow out of curiosity.

By comparison, I've used my ATI Industries nutplate drill jigs for
years for
hundreds of holes with no problems.

The MilSpec tool was nothing but frustration after a few pieces. What a
disappointment. Beware.

Scott in Ohio

You do not need a special tool to locate camloc receptacles. Drill a
7/16 hole (with a rotabroach or step drill). Insert the camloc
backwards into the hole and drill mounting holes. Remove camloc, debur
countersink paint and install.

There are some that are made to be installed like nutplates.

FWIW, I don't drill thru the jig. Just punch centers...