Old February 19th 07, 03:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
C J Campbell

Default Organizational Skills Required During Instrument Flight

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:33:49 -0800, wrote
(in article . com):

What methods do you deploy? How many folks use a kneeboard? What
kind of timer (analog or digital stopwatch) do you use, and where do
you put it? Where do you keep the charts, approach plates, and
scratch paper? How many people write down every clearance, heading,
altitude and frequency change? How do you keep from dropping your pen
(or pencil)? Is it on a string? Where do you put in when not in
use? Velcro? Your pocket?

I've read the books, but I just wonder how people cope in real life.
Rod Machado talks about using a clipboard (with extra clips on the 3
other sides) in his excellent training manual. This seems like a good
idea to me.

Sure it is. Lots of pilots use the clipboard with great success.

Personally, I just put everything into a 3 ring binder in the order that I
will use it. The binder has a clip on it to hold the approach plate. I do not
use a kneeboard. I use the clock in the airplane for a timer. If things are
not in use they go in the pocket behind the right seat. I put approach plate
binders, en route charts, etc. usually on the floor between the seats.

I do not write everything down. Instead I use bugs to remind me of things if
I need it. I write down my initial clearance and sometimes the clearance for
approach if it is complicated. Otherwise, I have better things to do than to
stick my head down in the cockpit. What I do write down goes on a small
spiral notepad that fits in my pocket.

My ideal flying togs would have pencil holders on the shirt sleeve, like AF
flight suits have.

I always enlist the aid of the right seat passenger to help with paper
handling. It helps to keep them from getting board during the flight.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor