Old September 10th 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

Something like the PADI model sounds very promising. I've often
wondered why I could not simply drop in to an FBO (Fixed Base Operator)
and rent an airplane or glider and go. There's always a checkout
requiring stalls, slow flight, traffic patterns, landings, ad. nauseum.
I would think simply showing my log book and licenses would suffice.
Imagine going to the Hertz/Avis counter to rent a car and being told
you'd have to demonstrate parallel parking!

I know... It's the insurance companies.

On 9/10/2015 6:49 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 2:37:22 PM UTC+2, GB wrote:Someadvertised prices are much higher then experienced PG pilots pay. You can keep yourself in good gear for same or less then club dues(unfortunately PG students do get bled.) Price aside, I think it is more the autonomy of self launch. No one wants to say it but we all know there are a lot of cranky miserable people in sailplane villages. If you don't get on with your local sailplane club all the fun is gone. If you don't get on with your local PG club, as long as you are waivered up and meet local rating rules you don't have to deal with them much.
I finally found that EGU Paper. Its the results of a 2012 workshop on how to retain, train and future development of gliding. I think it should be circulated a lot more widely.

http://www.egu-info.org/dwnl/EGU%20P...%2020122.p df

If you are short on time, read section 3 "Gliding is the Answer ‐ But what is the Question?" Why Gliding? Steps towards creating a Brand.

As you correctly state the club dependency is a big problem for one particular potential demographic: the middle aged pilot.

Although he/she has income, he has little time to dedicate, but still wants to fly.

What the author suggests is to create a brand like PADI for scuba divers. Its a common acronym which stand for certification, equipment, services available from a PADI certified organisation. If you are certified for a certain PADI level, its clear what you can and cannot do. Its clear what equipment you can operate and what your level of experience is.

It basically would allow you to come to an airport and rent a glider. Without membership in a particular club. If you are self-launch certified and a glider with that capability is available, you can operate on your own.