Old December 20th 16, 10:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Christopher Schrader

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 5:03:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 2:32:07 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 9:57:15 AM UTC-5, Sean Fidler wrote:

Sean, look at a map of the US and of England. Take a guess at the density of junior pilots. The reason they can get the numbers (aside from a much more social club environment, I agree) is that they are a lot closer to the racing venue - If every junior pilot in the US could get to a Junior contest with a club or loaned glider within a day's drive, we would see the same or better numbers!

And you are getting a bit tiring, up on your soap box. NOT EVERYONE WANTS TO FLY XC, MUCH LESS RACE! Most of our long time club members, including private owners of some nice glass, have no desire to stress out flying XC.. And they are perfectly happy (and pretty good pilots).

Personally, I agree with you that XC and racing is most fun in soaring, along with acro, intro rides for grandmas who have never flown, end of day sled rides with the wife in glassy air as the sun goes down - hmm, I guess it's all good!

Oh, and "low approaches, circling to land..." ;^)

My solution? It's the social aspect, not the flying. THAT'S THE BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EURO AND MOST US CLUBS! We need nice, appealing facilities more than we need nicer gliders; we need clubhouses with bars (or even restaurants), weekend sleeping accommodations, nice areas to park the RVs, things for the spouses and kids to do - When the locals stop by to sit in the shade, sip a cold one, and watch the pretty shiny gliders fly, then you are on the right track!

Kirk
66

Steve Bennis, our mentor at Middletown NY, took me aside one day 30 years ago or so and asked me if I wanted to know the most important thing to keep people coming to our soaring operation.
Not stupid, said tell me the secret.
He did:
Picnics!
The message was that the social environment is very important to capturing and retaining members or customers, in addition to a stimulating flying environment.
UH

This is very true. We had 4 picnics this year and it has done amazing things for morale. Santa Claus even brought the club a nice 6.5qt crockpot so on busy weekend days the members can grab a hot dog, chips, and a soda, drop a couple bucks in the donation bucket and know they wont go hungry spending the day with their friends at the airfield. I want to thank the guys at Thermal Research and Kendall Gliderport circa 1985 for that (my brothers and I ate a lot of hot dogs at the gliderport growing up as kids). In any case, Costco and Sam's Club can make this an affordable proposition for any club.. What's required is a decent clubhouse kitchen and on that front I'm proud we re-modeled our clubhouse this year. We may even start doing pancake breakfasts next winter (once we get hot water installed) just to give everyone an excuse to get together when its snowing outside (we did put in heat and insulation). But without further digressing, you are absolutely right. You can see the excitement in peoples eyes when they come out to the field now.. Picnics, BBQ's, and other themed outdoor parties do a lot to bring people together and get people flying again! And more importantly, the social environment is the key to progress. Unfriendly clubs tend not to keep their new members around for very long. Conversely, clubs whose members take the time to make their new (and existing) members always feel welcome, extend a hand, or sometimes just a healthy shot of encouragement, get this small investment returned to them in spades. Usually, it results in untold volunteer support that you can't always put a price on but nor could a club survive without. Lastly, there's Grinch among all of us. My advice is don't let the resident grouch sit around and poison the well. Circumvent the grouch and steer the newcomer in a positive direction and the grouch won't have anyone left to complain to but himself.

- Chris Schrader, Sandhill Soaring Club, near Ann Arbor, MI