Old December 21st 16, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey[_2_]

Default How do we inspire pilots to truly take up cross country soaring ?

My $0.02 from a newly mint pilot aspiring for XC.

First of all I think there is a unique internal fortitude that glider pilots have. And let me also say, I think it’s even more so for the XC pilot. I have met pilots from varying skill and experience that some gave me the impression that they were terrified of XC. Being a student gave me a unique advantage of asking questions versus someone with experience would probably not have asked those types of questions I had asked. I also realize that individuals have their own comfort level. Now with that said, I think that internal fortitude can be broken down into two areas; churn and retention of when pilots either do not seek XC or the student drops out. Either way, it affects long-term retention.

I do not know if there are two ideas or paths to solo but I was on the path of training to know almost all there is about soaring prior to solo. I think I would have stopped training if I did not know the end game of XC. I think a student should solo as soon as practical with the guidance that much more training is ahead. The student will discover more quickly if they have the internal fortitude to continue. To over-train a student for solo creates a long path for later discouragement and only ties up club time. The only advantage seems to be the clubs increase in revenue or CFI’s log time.

Now for XC: My last CFI said if I did not XC and only glided around the field that I would eventually give up soaring. This is from a well-known, high hr, high student CFI.
From his past experience as well as my observation of the millennia’s and Gen-X, I think as others have mentioned that exposure to XC from the beginning of training is key. I do think the internal fortitude required of experienced or seasoned pilots for XC is greater. Or put another way, the older the pilot the longer it takes to break the home field barrier.
I could be in this later category, however, I also have not completed my Silver Badge. I could have attempted XC and landed out by now, but (1) I know the hassle of retrieve of my heavy glider, (2) gaining more comfort with new vario and GPS, (3) just enjoying soaring around, (4) realize I need to work on perfect thermaling skills, (5) would like booming conditions for first XC to ensure success. I currently do a lot of scratching and only do this around home field and would not attempt during XC. But with average cloud base of 3k and average glide at 2-2.5K, that does not give much room to travel far and have a good margin for land out.

Oh, another observation which could be an obstacle to XC is many gliders trailers I’ve seen at clubs I would not pull down the road. Either the pilot is experienced enough to get back home, or does not care about leaving area, or is older or out of shape and does not want to deal with retrieve. Trailer care and upkeep should be talked about more at clubs and with students. If a student never hears anything about trailer maintenance then acquires own trailer, I think they are more likely to neglect. As well as if they see neglected trailers about, they may follow suit out of sub-consciousness.

Once I have achieved my silver badge, I would like to enter a XC comp. And I think the badges are all a pilot needs for motivation prior to first comp. I do like the idea of team comps where an experience pilot has two less experienced pilots to bring along. I also like the idea of fun comps, and fun fly in’s that have an element of XC. I also think a yearly training camp/comp made up of 2 place gliders would be fun and very beneficial. One of the biggest obstacles I see to camps and comps is proximity. Within 300 miles would be ideal, but at least each region. If one compares any other sports, soaring has less comps.

I was fortunate to have been able to visit 6 different facilities to soar at after acquiring my ticket. The people I have met and the views, and tips have been great. I’m at the point where I’m acquiring skill, and do not foresee myself as CFI or top comp pilot, but I hope I can pass something to others to help our sport.