Old July 30th 19, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Anyone who "emulates" the actions of others without assessing the risks
on his own deserves what he gets.

On 7/29/2019 8:23 PM, 2G wrote:
On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 9:07:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Tom makes at least one good point. Fortunately, he was not able to find evidence that these overflights are illegal. I figured if CBP and ATC have no objection, I should be good to go. It's nice to put the FAA on that list as well.

There is a difference between illegal and ill advised. CBP would not be amused, they can certainly lay down huge fines, and who knows - maybe they can seize the glider. I prepare so hopefully a landout never happens, and if it does happen, I can make a better case that this was a serious emergency. I'd be in the claws of the CBP and the legal system, and that doesn't sound like much fun, but still better than being dead.

To borrow Tom's phrase, soaring is a sport of skating on thin ice. We aren't flying around in a 182 going for a $100 hamburger! When I see the wave stretching south to the Grand Tetons, I have to limit my soaring risks to minimize the legal risks. The only responsible way to carry the adventure further south is to land, clear customs, and fly on.

In conclusion, (cu's will be popping soon) we have largely unexplored wave-generating terrain from south of the Grand Tetons to just south of the arctic circle. That's 1300 miles! Banff is close, Calgary is close - hook the glider up behind the minivan and bring the whole family for vacation.

Chester

On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 7:54:42 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
On Saturday, July 27, 2019 at 12:36:36 PM UTC-7, Glidergeek wrote:
You have to be ****ing me, you mean there are glider pilots ( at least one) that have nothing better to do than scour the OLC flights and nit pick them on RAS? And what makes it worse the OP doesn’t even have enough class to admit his mistake. Shouldn’t you extend an apology tuck your tail and disappear and go polish your wings instead of pouring more avgas on the fire. If you really cared about this gentleman’s flight you should have PM’d him and kept this private then you wouldn’t be cleaning your foot in your mouth....is ****ing spelled with one T or two?
I'll just wait for the post titled "Jack-booted CBP agents seize Canadian glider for outlanding in US!" In the mean time, GET A LIFE!

I call that "mission accomplished:" you know the risks involved and are willing (I guess) to accept them. I was also thinking about other pilots that might try emulating what you did and are not aware of these risks. And if you still don't think this can happen, google "civil forfeiture."

For the record, I apologize for calling your flight "illegal," which it wasn't.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J