Old April 14th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

Default Record height for a winch launch?

At 21:15 14 April 2020, Don Johnstone wrote:
At 19:35 14 April 2020, wrote:
On Monday, 5 March 2001 00:00:08 UTC, MHende6388 wrote:
Curious what the highest sailplane launch from a winch has ever

been for
the
longest cable.

Michael

My personal record is 3,400' in a T-21 at Feltwell back in the mid-

1960s
using a barrage balloon winch but that was kiting and we hung on

until
there was no cable left on the drum. There was a huge bow in the

cable
apparently.
Best straight launch is about 2,300'.

Probably not the best idea in the world. If using 4mm steel cable the
weight of that amount of cable would be around 1400lbs. 5mm cable
would be 2180lbs, pretty close to a ton. That is all supported by the
frame to which the release is mounted, and of course the wing roots. If
the T21 had a GoG hook it is bolted to the frame which supports the
seat. The things we did when we were young and stupid.

Only because our elders let us and even encouraged us by word and
example!

Incidentally, with a 1000lb weak link, which was the norm in those days,
why
did it not break with 2000+lbs of cable suspended?